Monday, January 2, 2012

Good Morning and Happy Eating!

Well I began the regimen yesterday, and I must say, I feel pretty fantastic today! I'm surprised by a few things....(and this is only 1 day into it!)
I prepared my grocery list yesterday and made my trek to Sunflower Market. Now, usually the first stop I make when I walk into the market is the gloriously huge cheese department because I am hopelessly (so I thought) addicted to all types of cheese. I was surprised at myself when I walked in, took a look at the mountain of cheese, and walked straight past it to the produce section, not giving it a second thought. You must understand, this was a big deal for me LOL. And I have yet to fight a cheese craving, partially thanks to the cheddar-flavored rice cheese I discovered which I happily put over my taco salad last night.
Second, I must tell you that I have an avid carnivore in my household. I still have to shop for and prepare carnivorous foods for my dear husband, who I am not forcing to eat my "rabbit food" as of yet :). One of my concerns is of course exposing myself to the fish, butter, and cheese that he will still be eating over the next 21 days. So yesterday I went to the fish department and bought some fresh salmon for him....we'll see how things go when I make it for his dinner tonight.
All in all I am positive about this change, excited for my next meal, and feeling great. I will leave you with a recipe for my Taco Salad (last nights dinner) and Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal (breakfast this morning).

Taco Salad

1 corn tostada bowl
Handful of greens (choose from Spinach, Rainbow Chard, Romaine, Iceberg, etc)
1 cup canned beans (choose from Pinto, Kidney, Black-eyed Peas, Black, or Navy)
1/2 cup cooked vegetables (I used Brussels Sprouts)
Rice or Soy Cheese to taste
1 green onion, sliced

Warm the tostada bowl in a preheated 350 degree oven for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Heat the can of beans in a saucepan until bubbly. Layer the ingredients in the tostada bowl in the order listed and enjoy!


Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal

1 packet whole-grain oat mix or 1 cup quick-cooking oats
3/4 cup water
1/2 golden delicious apple, chopped into small chunks
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Handful dried cranberries or other dried fruit
Splash coconut milk creamer
Agave nectar to taste

In a large microwavable bowl mix together the oats, water, apple, and cinnamon. Microwave on high 2 minutes and stir. Add the cranberries and coconut milk creamer and stir again. Drizzle agave nectar on top to taste. Enjoy with a slice of whole-grain toast with Earth Balance spread and fruit jam!

2 comments:

  1. Today I made lentil stew and it was yummy. Saved some for the freezer so now I am getting a little stockpile. 2 nd day...did so good. Love your tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lentil stew sounds fabulous. I'm debating what to make for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete