Monday, February 28, 2011

Saving Face

The past revolving year has brought me many things. A new husband, a photography business, and at the end of my list....turning 29. Yes, in a few short months, I will be celebrating my last year in my 20's. I never thought I would care about aging, and before you want to smack me in the head for saying 29 is old, let me explain. Its not that I'm researching my near future retirement home or making sure my life insurance is still good, but it is kind of depressing to me. Mostly because I am approaching the years where I will have to work to maintain my youthful appearance and current weight.....I am finding that they no longer come naturally. Oh well, I like a good challenge.
I believe the fountain of youth is found in the foods which nourish our bodies. That means whole fruits, vegetables, lean fish, whole grains, etc.....not food from any drive-thru or "greasy spoon" in your local area. But eating these delicious foods is not the only way to use them for a youthful look! Ever tried a homemade facial treatment? If you haven't, I encourage you to try it. At least twice a month or so, I like to treat my face to a natural scrub or paste using things I find in my fridge and pantry. Sometimes when I make morning smoothies I just rub that mixture on my face! Fruits and vegetables increase the supple look in skin that babies have....just what I'm looking for! Oils and juices add moisture to prevent drying, and dry goods act as exfoliants to scrub off any unwanted old skin. Here's a list of my favorite ingredients put in any combination, just make sure the mixture is thick enough to rub on your face. I typically leave the mask on for around 5-8 minutes then rinse with warm water and follow up with my Burt's Bees Milk and Honey lotion. The feeling after is to die for!! Enjoy!

Exfoliants:
Oatmeal
Whole Wheat Flour
Ground Flaxseed
Loose Leaf Tea (Black, White, or Green)
Brown Sugar
Ground Almonds
Ground Walnuts

Fruits and Veggies: (either pureed or juiced)
Strawberries
Avocados
Bananas
Apples
Carrots
Sweet Potato
Cucumber
Lemon

Other Add-Ins:
Peanut Butter (preferably freshly ground or natural)
Olive Oil
Honey (I use a creamed clover honey)
Yogurt
Cocoa Powder

No comments:

Post a Comment